1. “Feeling Good” was originally written by English songwriter Leslie Bricusse, and the music was created by Anthony Newley for the musical The Roar of the Greasepaint – The Smell of the Crowd.
2. In August 1964, British singer and actor Cy Grant initially performed “Feeling Good” on the musical’s opening night at the Theatre Royal in Nottingham, England.
3. In May 1965, theatre producer David Merrick brought the play to the bright lights of Broadway at the Shubert Theatre in New York City, and actor Gilbert Price performed “Feeling Good” live.
4. The earliest recorded cover version of “Feeling Good” was by American saxophonist and jazz musician John Coltrane, that appeared on his album The John Coltrane Quartet Plays.
5. Covered by many artists back then, “Feeling Good” was sang by Jean DuShon, Julie London, Chris Connor, Billy Eckstine, and Sammy Davis Jr.
6. Nina Simone recorded the song for her 1965 album “I Put a Spell on You” but didn’t release it as a single.
7. Twenty-nine years later, Nina Simone’s recording was used in a British TV commercial for Volkswagen, and grew popular as it reached no. 40 on the UK Singles Chart in July 1994.
8. Today Nina Simone’s cover is known as a staple, and is sampled by many different electronic and hip hop artists’ projects.
9. “Feeling Good” has been a highlight of a background music in numerous TV and film media series including Six Feet Under, Scandal, and Point of No Return.
10. Notable artists like George Michael, Michael Bublé have also covered the classic, but modern rock band Muse won the title of one of the top ten best cover songs in the world with their own emotional take.
Birds flyin’ high, you know how I feel
Sun in the sky, you know how I feel
Breeze driftin’ on by, you know how I feel
It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life for me.
Yeah, it’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life for me, ooooooooh…
And I’m feelin’ good.
Fish in the sea, you know how I feel
River runnin’ free, you know how I feel
Blossom on the tree, you know how I feel
It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life for me,
And I’m feelin’ good
Dragonfly out in the sun, you know what I mean, don’t you know,
Butterflies all havin’ fun, you know what I mean.
Sleep in peace when day is done, that’s what I mean,
And this old world is a new world and a bold world for me…
Stars when you shine, you know how I feel
Scent of the pine, you know how I feel
Oh, freedom is mine, and I know how I feel..
It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life for me
And I’m feelin’… good.
Listen to NINA SIMONE – FEELING GOOD (AJDE Remix)
AJDE provide simple Swedish Hip Hop instrumentals. By stripping the song down to piano keys, beat elements, and soft takes of Nina’s voice, AJDE blend in chiptune trap samples and turn the track into a soul groove melody.
Listen to NINA SIMONE – FEELING GOOD (James Oklander Remix)
Producer James Oklander remixes Feeling Good into a smooth downtempo moment of spacial clarity.
Listen to NINA SIMONE – FEELING GOOD (Nicolar Jaar Remix)
Producer Nicolas Jaar’s re-edit of Feeling Good would simply make Nina Simone proud. With a lounge feel, a dash of jazz magic, and a contemporary wave of chill, Nicolas Jaar adds in a hypnotic house beat that makes you want to dance all over the DJ floor.